Thursday, October 1, 2009

Math and Dyslexia

I had a lot of math homework today. 27 question. I thought it was going to take an extremely long time, but luckily the unit we're doing right now is over square root. It's quick and easy. I finished it in under 30 minutes, which is saying something. Math is not my forte. Never has been. However, I seem to be doing alright at the moment. Last unit was rough, though. They had word problems. For some reason, ever since I was younger, I've always struggled with word problems. Maybe it has to do with my mild case of dyslexia. You know, I've never been tested, but I have most of the symptoms, which are:
  • Difficulty determining the meaning (idea content) of a simple sentence
  • Difficulty learning to recognize written words
  • Difficulty rhyming
  • May occur in combination with writing or arithmetic learning problems
I don't have difficulty in rhyming or recognizing words, but I definitely have the two other symptoms. I also mix up letters and words when I read. Sometimes I don't have any problems with reading, but other times I have a really hard time comprehending and reading the words I see on a page. Thus, if you combine the two, creating a word problem in math, you know I'm not going to do well on it. I have had problems all through school, but for some odd reason didn't do anything about it. I mean, I don't need to be in special classes for it, but it has definitely shown to be a tad bit of a set back. Not too much, though.

The other day I was talking to a friend on AIM (AOL instant messenger), and I said "Oh, now you've put me on the stop." I meant to say "spot" not "stop", and my friend says, "Dyslexia at it's finest right there." I sort of chuckled and corrected my typo. I mean, maybe it was just my hands getting confused, or maybe it was dyslexia. I don't know. Either way, I know I have a problem with it.

I'm just glad there's no word problems in this new unit in math.

No comments:

Post a Comment